By the end of 1859, the Exploration Fund Raising Committee had raised enough money to fund the proposed expedition. At a Public Meeting of subscribers to the Exploration Fund held at the Mechanics Institute, Collins-street on Monday 23 January 1860, the Fund Raising Committee was dissolved and most of its members were united into the Royal Society of Victoria's Exploration Committee.
At a meeting of the new united committee, held at the Royal Society building on Wednesday, 25 January 1860, it was agreed that the united committees now be called the Exploration Committee of the Royal Society of Victoria. Stawell was appointed Chairman, Hodgson: Vice-Chair, Wilkie: Treasurer and Macadam: Hon Secretary.
The following new members were elected to the Committee in 1860:
• Deputy Surveyor-General, Clement Hodgkinson, was appointed to the Committee [on 25 January 1860?]
• River-boat pioneer, Captain Frances Cadell was appointed to the Committee [by 30 January 1860].
• Dr Thomas Embling was appointed to the Committee [by 8 March 1860].
The following member was re-elected to the Committee in 1860:
• Government Geologist, Alfred Richard Cecil Selwyn. Selwyn had been a member of the first Exploration Committee elected in 1857, but he did not attend any meetings. He was re-elected to the Committee early in 1860, but he did not attend any meetings until 17 July 1860.
Resignations in 1860:
• The Hon John Hodgson, MLC, attended his last Committee meeting on 23 July 1860 and died on 2 August 1860.
|The Exploration Committee at 23 January 1860:|
|1.||Sir William Foster Stawell,||Chairman.|
|2.||The Hon John Hodgson, MLC.,||Vice-Chairman.|
|3.||Dr David Elliott Wilkie MD.,||Treasurer.|
|4.||Dr John Macadam,||Honorary Secretary.|
|5.||Professor Georg Neumayer,|
|6.||Dr Ferdinand von Mueller,|
|7.||Sir Frederick McCoy,|
|8.||Dr Richard Eades,|
|9.||Charles Whybrow Ligar,|
|10.||Reverend Father John Ignatius Bleasdale,|
|11.||Clement Hodgkinson Esq,|
|12.||Dr J William McKenna,|
|13.||Dr William Gilbee,|
|14.||Sizar Elliott Esq,|
|15.||Dr Solomon Iffla,|
|16.||Angus McMillan Esq,|
|17.||James Smith Esq,|
|18.||John Watson Esq.|
Biographies of members of the Exploration Committee